Hiram Walker built the first St. Mary's Church in 1870. Our founder was born on a farm in East Douglas, Mass. in 1816. He was a business entrepreneur in Detroit at age 22. Hiram founded Walkerville and Hiram Walker and Sons Distillery in 1858. He supported St. Mary's from 1874-1899. He was the ruling influence in Walkerville from 1858 to 1890 when the town was incorporated. He died in 1899. His three sons followed him as presidents of the distillery. In 1904 they erected the present St. Mary's as a memorial to their parents, Hiram and Mary.
St. Mary's Church, Sandwich Street. This building stood on the south side of Riverside Dr. just east of Devonshire Rd. from 1870 to 1904. Methodist services were held here from 1870 to 1872, then it closed. It reopened as St. Mary's Anglican Church in 1874. It was the only place of worship in Walkerville until 1892 when Lincoln Avenue Methodist Church opened. This church was razed in 1904 when the new St. Mary's Memorial church was opened.
The Parishioners of St. Mary's Church gathered for the laying of the cornerstone on May 25, 1903.